Master Craftsman Dick Trowbridge has over 30 years of professional experience in Woodworking.
Our Mission Statement:
Trowbridge Furniture is committed to reducing our impact on the planet while maintaining a high level of craftsmanship and customer service. Towards that goal the following practices have been implemented:
1) Reduce, reuse and recycle.
As much as anything I try to avoid waste. There is no dumpster outside my shop. Wood and plywoods are cut as efficiently as possible. Wood scraps are used for fuel and plywood scraps are given away to hobbyists. Everything that can be recycled is recycled. Whenever possible recycling is done on job sites. Sawdust is used for garden mulch or otherwise distributed for re-use. Toxic chemicals are disposed of responsibly.
2) Reduction of energy
The shop does not use much energy but I do what I can to lower my consumption, including the use of skylights to take advantage of natural light and reduce use of shop lighting. There is no central heating or cooling. Space heaters and fans are used when needed, and there is an ongoing upgrade of lighting to higher efficiency
3) Use of nontoxic, low VOC, water based finishes and adhesives as much as possible.
Nearly all toxins covered by U.S. regulations are found in the highest concentration indoors. Many of these hazardous chemicals are members of a large family called volatile chemicals or VOCs. These chemicals are commonly found in plywood, particleboard, paints, finishes and adhesives. VOCs found in these products include formaldehyde, benzene, xylene, toluene, and ethanol. To minimize the concentration of VOCs and make your home healthier the following finishes , adhesives and products are used whenever possible.
– no or low VOC, formaldehyde free paints
– no or low VOC water based wood finishes
– no or low VOC formaldehyde free adhesives
– low formaldehyde , low VOC plywood
– Particleboard and medium density fiberboard (MDF) contain high concentrations of formaldehyde and are used rarely. Whenever these products are used all exposed surfaces are sealed .
4) Use of locally and regionally sourced native woods FSC certified plywoods used in cabinet construction. Use of green products such as bamboo plywood, recycled wood and energy efficient LED cabinet lighting whenever suitable.
Based on your ideas, Dick Trowbridge will custom design and build your furniture and cabinets, using carefully selected woods, traditional joinery and a variety of finishes.