On December 7, 1985, approximately 90 people were in attendance for a meeting that was held at Cosby High School to determine the need for a volunteer fire department. The Cosby Ruritan Club sponsored this meeting. Plans were made & fundraising began to help bring the new fire department to the area. On August 23, 1986, Cosby Volunteer Fire Department was officially established with 25 firefighters & 1 used 1955 Ford engine purchased from Sullivan County. Later, we added a 1958 Ford engine & also purchased old school buses from the county in which we turned into tankers.
In the past 30 years, we have expanded to 3 stations: Station 1 next to Cosby School (our original station), Station 2 next to Cosby Post Office, & Station 3 in the Edwina community. We now have 2 mini pumpers, 3 tankers, & 4 engines. Our jaws of life & other rescue equipment is currently housed on our new 2008 Ford F550 mini pumper. Our ISO rating is currently a 6, & we are very proud of that! We currently have approximately 40 +/- firefighters, & cadet program that enlists, trains, & educates future firefighters currently under the age of 18.
CVFD has proudly provided fire protection & rescue services to approximately 100 square miles of Cosby, TN since August 23, 1986.