This is a place for friends and neighbors of West Hills, Knoxville, TN to share news, information, concerns, and general gossip about the West Hills neighborhood.
West Hills is generally considered to be the are located between Weisgarber and Mars Hill and between Middlebrook and Kingston Pike. For purposes of this group the area located to the west and south of Kingston Pike and North of Gleason is considered to belong as well
This group is affiliated with the KnoxvilleWestHills.com, a community bulletin board and the KnoxvilleWestHills discussion group on Yahoo.
This group is not the "official" group of the West Hills Neighborhood Association.
This group is intended to be for ALL who have an interest in and a concern for the West Hills area. It is open to ALL.
HISTORY OF WEST HILLS
West Hills History
In 1964 a small organization of homeowners reached an agreement to prevent construction of apartments in West Hills. In June of that year,1964 a founding meeting was held to re-establish an enduring organization. The meeting was attended by 34 families, which agreed to the creation of the new organization, and charged Dr. Richard Briley to draft a letter soliciting members.
The original officers (J.E. Brown, President, Ken Monty, Jamie Kinsey, and Richard Briley, as VP, secretary, and treasurer respectively) immediately opposed plans for a trailer park, south of Kingston Pike, in an area zoned commercial and adjacent to what would become West Town Mall.
The association also addressed quality of life issues. Years after annexation street lights were not in place throughout the community, and water service continued to be provided by Lenoir City Utility Board. These issues were addressed, and even fire hydrants were scheduled for installation as the result of the new organization.
By the end of 1964, 136 families were dues paying members, and issues for action abounded.
It was obvious that the high school was inadequate, and the group threw its vigorous support behind a school-bond construction plan for a new Bearden High.
Members stepped forward to pitch in on different concerns. B.Ray Thompson chaired a steering committee to establish a schedule of "Aims and Devices:. Lynn Craig met with KUB regarding lights and water, Paul Haas initiated a study to create a park for the new community; Brown and Monty tackled the problems of school sidewalks, traffic, and the fact that bus service from downtown did not extend all the West to West Hills.
Even the problem of sewage disposal at the high school was believed to be a quality of life issue for the community, and Charles Saulpaw headed a group to find a solution.
As 1964 closed, most of the initial problems were resolved, or on the way to solution. Notably sidewalks were placed around West Hills Elementary School, sewer service was expanded; street lights were committed, and negotiations were nearing completion for acquisition of land for a park. (Source: WHOA Website)
HISTORY OF WEST HILLS ELEMENTARY
In 1955, the rapidly growing population in West Knox County and the overcrowding of Bearden Elementary School made it necessary to add an additional elementary school to meet the community's educational needs. The planning for the construction of West Hills Elementary School began with the retention of Barber and McMurry architectural firm in 1957. Construction of the new West Hills Elementary School was completed in 1959 with the school accommodating grades one through eight.
In 1964, four classrooms were added to each end of the school. In 1969, seventh and eighth grade students were transferred from West Hills to Bearden Junior High. Then, in 1979, the sixth grade was moved to Bearden Middle School as part of a middle school reorganization plan. Initially a part of the Knoxville City School System, in 1987 West Hills Elementary School was incorporated into the Knox County System when the city officials elected to cease operation of a school system.
The area continued to experience growth and in 1988 West Hills Elementary School was enlarged and completely renovated. Although this latest expansion and renovation still serves the current population, four additional portable classrooms were added in 2000 to accommodate a population increase of almost 130 students during a single year. In 2005 Amherst Elementary School opened and through rezoning, thirty-one of West Hills' students were moved to Amherst Elementary School. Currently, West Hills Elementary is a school of almost 720 students in grades K-5.
West Hills Elementary School is located off Interstate 40 West in the West Hills Community and inside the city limits of Knoxville, Tennessee. The school zone covers a wide and diverse area with an inclusion of apartments and subdivision residences.
The West Hills area of Knoxville, TN